Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Future Proof

So it's Tuesday, my typical column day, and I have no new column. Or, more accurately, this thing right here is standing in for what would usually be a comicbook-related column. The last couple weeks have been abnormally full for me, and as such I've fallen way behind on my comicbook reading and writing. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
      This week, I've got a new D&D game starting (YIPEE!), a few improv performances, and some non-comicbook-criticism writing to wrap up, and then next week I'm in California for a wedding. So for most of the first half of August, my schedule isn't going to allow for the regular weekly Pull List Reviews, and I wouldn't be surprised if I was too occupied to even bang out any full-length columns in the upcoming weeks.
     The bottom line is that I'm not sure what, if anything, is going to be happening here on the blog in the immediate future. In a lot of ways I have loved having this project for the past several months, but it is definitely time-consuming and, more and more, it has the effect of making reading comics into something that, emotionally, resembles homework. And that's the very last thing I want.
     When I started this blog my goal was to get myself into a rhythm, to reintroduce some discipline to my writing that had been lacking since college, if not earlier. This has been accomplished, and that's awesome, but in the process I seem to have sapped some percentage of my joy out of diving into a fresh stack of comicbooks. So in the next couple weeks I'm going to reassess the blog's purpose, schedule, and necessity. This may be the end of the project right here, or maybe I'll revamp things and attack it with a renewed energy and enthusiasm by the end of the summer. I just don't know.
     For the handful of you who follow Comics Matter with any regularity, you know I love your support and am eternally appreciative for it. Hopefully this is just a hiatus, but if it's goodbye for good, then I wanted to be sure to thank you before I disappear. Check back soon to see where I've landed and what the future may hold.

1 comment: