Sunday, March 16, 2014

My Other Car is a Base Land Speed of 30 Feet

I've been pretty absent from Comics Matter over the past couple of weeks, which is totally counter to my goals, but what can I say? Comicbooks, while still my #1 pastime, are not my only hobby. I'm a well-rounded motherfucker! Maybe not, but I do have at least two nerdy, obsessive, time-consuming interests, the other one being Dungeons & Dragons. I've mentioned this before in passing, but D&D is seriously the best thing ever, and I've been playing it off-and-on for more than half my life. People move, things change, games end, and sometimes there's no D&D in my world at all. But when I get back into it, I often get seriously into it, to the point where I put off real-life responsibilities. It's not good, but that's the relationship I have with the game, and right now I am deep in a D&D pit that has kept me from catching up on my comicbook reading or writing for about a week. It's been an abnormally busy week anyway, and the short bursts of free time I've had were almost all usurped by D&D planning, research, etc. As a game limited only by my own imagination, the potential it has to entertain me once I settle in is truly infinite, and losing track of time is easy when I'm in that state.

All of this is to say that I realize I've been an irresponsible blogger. I'm not making any promises to climb out of the D&D hole I've fallen into anytime soon, because I can never tell how long any round of me getting super enthusiastic about the game all over again will last. This is meant as more of an open acknowledgement that I want to re-balance my free time schedule and bring comics back to the forefront of my mind. Admitting there's a problem is the first step, yes? So, step one down, I guess. Hopefully I'll stop unhealthily focusing on D&D and get back to unhealthily focusing on comicbooks ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment